Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Cabbagehead Duathlon, Wiggins, CO.

568 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jensparks 
#1 ·
Where in the hell is Wiggins? I've been pretty familiar with a good portion of Colorado, but rarely spend any time in the eastern parts. First, its flat. Nothing to look at. Zip, zero, zilch, nada. Nothing but grass, power poles, and some corn and cattle. When I first saw this race in the ads, it looked pretty easy. They even offer a fat tire division for morons like me that think that they can just go out and do something on a whim. 3 mile run, 18.6 on a bike, and another 3 mile run. How hard can it be?<br><br>
Shouldn't be too hard, if you can keep up the training. And since work has been such a pain in the ass lately, I am blessed with no time whatsoever to train with for the last week. Lucky me!!<br><br>
My sister calls me up the day before, and tells me that she can't make the race. Sick as a dog, and can't even make it out to watch the race. Let alone participate. However, she had already paid for a day rental on a road bike. In the last duathon she was in, she signed up for the fat tire division, and HATED it. So, good news for me. I got a free rental on a good road bike (Cannondale Synapse) to ride in the race.<br><br>
I finally looked up where the race was going to be the night before. Honestly, I thought it would be closer. I wound having to drive for about an hour and a half to get to the race. It also didn't help that I got up about half an hour late. Thank God I packed everything the night before, and had the coffee ready.<br><br>
I felt like a lost child in the woods. Here I am, looking at everyone else and copying everyone so I can at least look like I know what I'm doing. Pathetic. But fortunately, the race director knows how to make everyone welcome, and answers all my questions. For the most part, pre-race prep isn't any different than a regular running race. You just have more gear that you have to deal with.<br><br>
So finally, the race starts. Since I've never done one of these before, I figure that even if I finish, its a good thing. The first mile goes by at about 8 minutes, maybe I should slow down. But as it turns out, I finished the first 3 mile leg in 22:39! What the hell??!?! I thought that skipping all week would pretty much ruin any chance at any good times.<br><br>
I get out of the transition area in 1:21, and start pedaling. Feeling pretty good, except for everyone thats passing me. I have to keep reminding myself that most of these fuys are bikers first, runners second. I finally get to the halfway point on the bike leg, and now I start having doubts. Can I even make this distance? I didn't think that this was quite this far!! Now, I'm starting to get cramping in the calves, and starting to think that I haven't been taking all the nutrition that I've been needing for the race.<br><br>
I finally get back to the transition area, and couldn't be happier to see it!! I get my bike back on the rack, get some water, and start running for the last leg. OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!! Holy shit, my legs HURT!!! I don't think I can make it, I have images of crawling across the finish line. Don't think about the pain, just run through it. Don't stop, just keep moving. after about the most excruciating half mile I've ever been through, things start loosening up. I'm starting to feel a little more normal, and figure that just finishing the race is going to be a great victory in itself. I relax, start talking to people, and making sure that everyone I'm around is having a good time.<br><br>
I finished the whole ordeal in 1:53, and couldn't be happier. It was the last race in the series, and they had lots of prizes to give away, including a pair of Zipp 808 wheels. When they drew the lucky person that was going to win, we found out that she was at home, sick. So the next person was extremely happy. All in all, it was a good day, and I think that I will be signing up for more of these races.<br><br>
Happy running.

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats on finishing the event and feeling satisfied with your efforts. Your race report sure made me laugh! Hope sis is feeling better -- I'm sure she got a chuckle out of your story too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.