ROTD 10-6: Katholeenie - KickRunners.com

#1 of Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 52
Likes Given: 9
Running history (sorry, this is rather long. But I’ve been running 19 omg!!! years):
I started running in ... April, 1989. After a year of drinking & feeding hangovers I got chubby, and one day saw a picture of myself. OY. Needed to do something, so I quit drinking & started running a couple miles every day & lost 25-30lbs. I kept running a few miles every day all sr year, all the way through college, and after.

In November of 1997 I started to get sick, but it wasn’t unbearable, so I kept running. I kept getting sicker and sicker, but kept running until mid February. By then emotionally I was a complete wreck from watching myself waste away & not knowing wtf was wrong with me. Physically I’d lost a bunch of weight I didn’t have to lose, felt like CRAP all the time, couldn’t sleep because I felt so badly, and was so ravaged and weak it was all I could do to walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail. In early April ‘98 I was finally diagnosed with ulcerative colitis - a chronic auto immune disease where my immune system freaked out and attacked my large intestine & ate hundreds of ulcers into the lining. (lovely, eh? ) I started treatment and after a week was able to go for a walk: down the driveway, one house over and back. Felt a little better every day, and every few days I was able to increase my daily walk 1 or 2 yards (lawn widths) at a time. Each increase, small as it was, was a celebration. Eventually I added in some running: run a minute, walk 5, run a minute, walk 5.... gradually decreasing the walk breaks until it became all running.

It was a long, slow process, but by September (199 I was able to run 1-1/2 miles straight and Sisterleenie talked me into running my first race - Race for the Cure in Cleveland. There were @ 7,000 people; it was a gorgeous morning, and a difficult course. In the last 3/4 mile I was passed by a dirt old man going up a steep hill and was really discouraged for a minute. Then I thought about what I’d accomplished in 5 months, and that if I kept at it maybe I could still be running when I was dirt old too. Finished in 27:26.

I was sick on and off the next 4 years, trying to get a handle on this stupid disease (still running up to 5 miles a day as long as I wasn’t horribly sick) and eventually ended up switching docs. Fall of 2001 the new doc told me one of the side effects of one of the drugs I’d been taking was leukemia. (****!) A week later I got a brochure for TNT - perfect timing on their part. I was compelled to join them - felt like I should do something to help while I was able. So I trained all winter/spring & ran the Governor’s Cup marathon with TNT in Montana in June 2002. Crazy hard race in mountains. Wtf was I thinking running my first marathon there? Sisterleenie (who came with me as an athletic supporter) and I were both rather emotional when I crossed the finish line.

That fall Sisterleenie talked me into running my first half marathon - River Run in Cleveland - and I found my new favorite race distance. Shortly after that I got sick again and ended up in a year long flair. I was still running [it sucked], but my mileage went back down to a couple few miles a day.

In August 03 doc heard about a diet for people with gut issues at a medical conference and told me to try it. This is when the no grains or sugar thing started. Within 5 days my gut had calmed almost completely. Because of the complete diet change I also dropped @ 15lbs even though I was eating constantly, & didn’t have the strength to run more than a few miles. It took about 6 months to gain 8lbs back (the rest was steroid weight) & learn what I needed to eat to be able to run as much as I want, but I kept at it, figured it out, started building up mileage again, and spring 04 ran half of Glass City (my first 30s meet up) and half of Flying Pig.

Since then I’ve run a bunch more halfs, many of them with some of you. I try to do at least a couple halfs a year and keep my mileage up year round. I usually do a few 5ks a year, but I really hate those.

Injuries. My gut doesn’t really count as an injury, that’s just something I live with, and I try not to let it be a crutch. Actual injuries? May ‘07, Thursday after running Pig, I was playing soccer with the dogs and stepped in a hole and severely sprained my ankle. Even managed to pull a chunk of bone out of my foot where the tendon attaches. [shudder] So I took a few weeks off. Kp gave me a bunch of exercises (did them religiously) and I was able to start going for walks after 3 weeks. Gradually started running and trained for Grand Rapids half that October, most of which I ran with Kp.

Current miles per week: 25-29ish. I’m building again after a couple funky months gut-wise.

Highest ever MPW: 60 - during marathon training

Training Paces: I don’t keep track; I’m pretty much just happy to be out there and run however I feel. I run before work & allow enough time for 10m/m - that’s about as slow as I go. If I finish faster than that, yay. The pace of the miles I run with Gus is always faster than I what run alone. Running with Gus has cut 10 min off my half times.

Race PRs:
5k - 27:12
10k - 59x (i’ve only run this one 10k, summer ‘99)
half - 1:57
marathon - 4:56 (running in mountains really sucks when you train on pancake flatness.)

One Year From Now I Hope To: be healthy & still running. Seriously, it’s hard for me to plan that far ahead because despite my efforts my gut does whatever the f it wants. I’d like to get my long runs back up to at least 15 miles. At some point in my life I’d like to do another full, because I’m much healthier now, have a much better base, & I know I can do better than 4:56. Also, the last 2 months I’ve petered out on strength training, so I want to keep up with that better. I’ve thought about getting back into Tai Chi, but gaaaa.... there just isn’t enough time in the day.

I plan to achieve this by: I’ve reworked my training plan to hit a 15m LR by the end of the year. I’m hoping by talking about it here that I’ll be more committed (? not the right word) to completing ALL scheduled miles. I should re-work the schedule again to add in weight stuff a couple few times a week.

I specifically want input on: since spraining my ankle I’ve really slacked on stretching. Want to get a good whole body stretching routine going again.

Or if you know of any FUN speedwork-thats-not-like-speedwork (like Solar’s run to the park, poke that statue and back type stuff) I could be into that. (currently I run hills & do hill repeats and run a few miles with Gus at the end of every run. And he likes to run HARD, and he varies his pace, so I guess its like fartleks.) I don’t have access easy to a track, and if it’s not easy at 5:30am I’m not doing it.

Last 2 weeks of workouts (depending on the temp, the last mile or 2 of every run are with Gus. As it cools that will increase):
Sun: 7
Mon: R
Tues: 4
Wed: 5
Thurs: 2 (bad gut)
Fri: R
Sat: 5

Sun: 8
Tues: butt tape + 3
Wed: alarm died, so no run. walked 4 miles & did arm tape
Thurs: 4
Fri: 5
Sat: 5

I go for a walk at lunch m-f, and walk at least 1 dog a couple miles every evening (depends how much time I have, because Jack is really freaking slow.)

Next 2 weeks
Sun: 7.5
Mon: R (today)
Wed: 6
Thurs: 5
Sat: 9

Sun: 4
Wed: 6
Thurs: 5
Sat: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
This was an interesting read, I think mostly because you are one of the few long time runners around here. I don't have much input for you but look forward to input from others about stretching, something I slack with too! I will say that the fact that you run,as much and as well as you do while managing your gut issues is inspiring. I know I am guillty of finding lots of excuses for not keeping up with my running/fitness schedule and then I am reminded of people like you and Scratch who have to put way more thought into their training and yet you still do it and do it well! Big kudos for you!

One question, so you said you would like to do another full but any thoughts on more 10ks or some of the funkier distances (10milers etc)? Just curious, I know they are harder to find, but I like those intermediate distances so much better!
#3 of Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Nice read, katholeenie. I feel like I knew a lot about you before, but this really filled in the gaps.

On stretching, how do you feel about yoga? There is a free 20 minute "Yoga for Runners" audio routine from yogadownload.com that focuses on areas used by runners. I've done it a few times and really feel like it gives a great stretch after a run. There are a few other good stretching routines I've liked and will try to find links to post.

Thanks for sharing your story!
#4 of Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Addicted Member

I'm stopping in to say it's good to see other stories. It's tough in many ways to have an autoimmune conditions like yours and mine. Sometimes it feels really good to triumph over it and then there are the times when I end up thinking, "I don't want to have f---ing deal with this."

One thing I've found with schedules and being diabetic is that I have to be accepting and willing to allow time for extra recovery sometimes. Your gut issues probably cause some trouble in getting your body to recover as quickly from the exercise stress. But it's still good to have the schedule because you do have to push for the edges of the envelope sometimes because that is the only way to find out where the edge is.

So that's my bit of feeback. If any of it's useful to it, use it. If not, ignore it. Keep at it.
#5 of Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
This was such an interesting ROTD. Most of us deal with injuries or motivation issues or priority issues in figuring out our running. You've got a daily, life-long health issue to work around, and yet you get out there and get your miles done, even when not feeling 100%. That's awesome, and should serve as a motivator for when anyone just doesn't feel like going for their run. Thanks for sharing your story!

As far as whole body stretching goes, I like the idea of getting a good yoga DVD or other stretching video. You incorporate your butt tape into your weekly routine -- this could be a tape for a different day. I have one I really like, and although I don't do the whole routine regularly, I find that I do stretching exercises that I've learned (through that video or yoga classes or even the PT I did a while ago) at various points throughout my day. So, while I don't have a whole body routine I do, say, 3 times a week, I am stretching a variety of muscles daily while I'm waiting for my lunch to heat up, or I'm waiting in line for my morning coffee, or I'm on my prep period at work, etc...

I've said it before, but I'm mesmerized by the race/running photos you've shared in the past (where's the one you're supposed to post here!?). You always have such an electric smile and a brightness about you in those photos! I've caught myself in races, passing the photographer, thinking, "Smile big! Throw a wave! Get that Katholeenie photo!"

It hasn't worked, yet, but I still think it, and I'm still working on it.

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#6 of Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Special Member

Here, here! Where is the required Katholeenie picture(s)????

hehe seriously I learned a lot about you from this thread. I fully agree with the others that you are awesome to have worked so hard to overcome the health issues that you have battled for so long. I wish you the very best in your future running endeavors!

#7 of Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
One question, so you said you would like to do another full but any thoughts on more 10ks or some of the funkier distances (10milers etc)? Just curious, I know they are harder to find, but I like those intermediate distances so much better!
I could be into 10 milers and other odd ones, but there aren't many around here. I could look into Cleveland or Ann Arbor though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsa View Post
I feel like I knew a lot about you before, but this really filled in the gaps.
Like why I'm not all hard core?

Quote:
On stretching, how do you feel about yoga?
I'm game to try about anything. I just downloaded that Yoga For Runners thing. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchType1 View Post
I'm stopping in to say it's good to see other stories. It's tough in many ways to have an autoimmune conditions like yours and mine. Sometimes it feels really good to triumph over it and then there are the times when I end up thinking, "I don't want to have f---ing deal with this."
Yah. It can be annoying.

Quote:
One thing I've found with schedules and being diabetic is that I have to be accepting and willing to allow time for extra recovery sometimes. Your gut issues probably cause some trouble in getting your body to recover as quickly from the exercise stress.
Definitely. When my long runs get longer I might take an extra day off. My schedule gets modified all the time, depending how things are going. Thats just par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpowered View Post
I like the idea of getting a good yoga DVD or other stretching video. You incorporate your butt tape into your weekly routine -- this could be a tape for a different day.........I find that I do stretching exercises that I've learned (through that video or yoga classes or even the PT I did a while ago) at various points throughout my day.
I like DVDs (as long as the person isn't annoying). I really like the time saver ones, that have 10, 15 or 20 minute options, so you can pick one for how much time you have.

Quote:
I've said it before, but I'm mesmerized by the race/running photos you've shared in the past (where's the one you're supposed to post here!?). You always have such an electric smile and a brightness about you in those photos! I've caught myself in races, passing the photographer, thinking, "Smile big! Throw a wave! Get that Katholeenie photo!"

It hasn't worked, yet, but I still think it, and I'm still working on it.
That's funny. And thank you.

I'm supposed to post a race photo here? Didn't know that. Uh.... here:
Well crap. Photobucket is having issues. I'll post one later.
#8 of Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Katholeenie, do you ever run with music? If so, you could arrange your playlist to have a 4:1 (or whatever) ratio of moderate tempo songs to fast tempo songs, and set it on random. While I rarely run with music, I do find my feet moving faster or slower to the beat of the music when I do. Having it on random will mix it up for you so you don't know what's coming up next. I know that at 5:30 a.m. you probably want to be more aware of your surroundings than listening to music would allow, but perhaps this could be a weekend workout?

ETA: The Crim 10-miler is in Flint. That's about 2 hrs north of you, right? The weather usually sucks and the hills can be tricky for flatlanders like us, but the crowd support is fabulous.

Kris
#9 of Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Bard: I don't listen to music because it's really dark at 5:30 and I want to be alert. But that's a good idea for weekend runs, which are sometimes later.

Ok, the pic. This is from half of the Cleveland marathon. Not a great race for me (but I like this pic); it was cold, rainy & windy and I felt like crap. But it was a good day - I didn't bring cold/rain gear, so Momoleenie gave me a rain coat and Sisterleenie gave me gloves and a hat. My college room mate came out with her pugs to cheer me on. I got to run with Sisterleenie for a bit (she was pacing). The crowd downtown was really funny encouraging me when I was walking.... Here I am (on the left) strolling up to the finish line...

That lady passed me in the last 10 feet.
#10 of Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
cus
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
I've got nothin' to offer towards your running. But, I do want to tell you that I've always admired your attitude with running. You just run your way and let yourself enjoy it. That attitude seems to go well beyond your running as well.

Also, you already know this, but your posts always manage to crack me up. It's not everyday that I read things like, "May ‘07, Thursday after running Pig, I was playing soccer with the dogs". The beauty of it is that I can totally picture you playing soccer with your dogs.
#11 of Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post

That lady passed me in the last 10 feet.
Yeah, but look. You totally made her day by allowing her to do so.

I never ran with music much anyway, but absolutely would not on my own 5:30 a.m. runs either. Not that I've seen anything more dangerous than a skunk or two, but there was once where someone on a bike was following a little behind me for a short ways. Not someone doing any kind of training, either, as it is all curvy short suburbany streets and he/she was coasting a lot. I was on high alert until they turned off in a different direction.

Kris
#12 of Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cus View Post
I've got nothin' to offer towards your running. But, I do want to tell you that I've always admired your attitude with running. You just run your way and let yourself enjoy it. That attitude seems to go well beyond your running as well.
I just really enjoy it.

Quote:
Also, you already know this, but your posts always manage to crack me up. It's not everyday that I read things like, "May ‘07, Thursday after running Pig, I was playing soccer with the dogs". The beauty of it is that I can totally picture you playing soccer with your dogs.
Maybe it's more keep away than soccer. I dribble & keep it away from them and they try to keep it away from me. Although Jack actually does dribble the ball. I don't know if it's on purpose, but he does. They both make excellent goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard73 View Post
Yeah, but look. You totally made her day by allowing her to do so.
HA! She does look really pleased at passing the walking one, huh?
#13 of Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 42
Likes Given: 1
Katholeenie, that was a great read. Your dedication is something special...

If you're looking for a "fun" way to do speedwork, have you tried fartleks? Maybe they're not exactly a rip-roarin' good time, but at least they'd mix things up a bit. And they can keep things unpredictable. For example, every time you round a corner, look for some object (tree, telephone pole, car) that's some distance (50 yards? 100 yards? whatever) down the road, and sprint to it.

Like I said, not thrilling. But maybe less boring than just doing 400 or 800 repeats...
#14 of Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 17
Likes Given: 6
Katholeenie - I knew you had gut issues, but I didn't know quite the extent of what you've had to go through. You deserve kudos for persevering the way you have with your running, not to mention simple day-to-day life.

As far as the speedwork, fartleks are always fun. Another speedwork routine that I feel is fun is a tempo run where I think of as pyramiding up my mental running gears. I warmup up for 10 minutes, and then I mentally hit a higher gear and hold it for three minutes. Gear up again, hold three minutes, and repeat until I'm running at top gear, which I hold for about a minute.

Then I gear down in three minute segments until I feel like I'm running nice and easy. The two things I especially like are the energized feeling I get when I'm done running. Also, my perceived easy pace after the pyramid is not only faster than my easy pace prior to gearing up, but also feels completely effortless.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#15 of Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Special Member

Kath Your story is a great reminder of if there is a will, there is a way. Truly much to admire in your running history and future I am sure!

Wish I could help you out with what you requested info on but I'm at a loss there and still learning these things myself. Thanks for asking that though because I found a lot of the info. people provided to you useful also!

I did buy a Yoga for Athletes DVD once. I still have it somewhere. I keep saying I'm going to get it out and try it again. People say it's great but I still remember the first time going through one of the programs thinking you want me to do what? How? Maybe I will see if I can find it again.
#16 of Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 AM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
I've said it before and I'll say it again: with all the gut/food issues you deal with, the fact that you run at all is impressive.

Hopefully you'll get things on track for a spring marathon.

You've gotten some good suggestions - big fan of yoga when I get off my lazy ass and do it.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#17 of Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Special Member

Some yoga DVDs I'd suggest checking Netflix for...

Easy or with clear modifications
Yoga Zone: Sunrise and Sunset (has two 20-minute sessions)
Gaiam's Yoga for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason (she always has good modifications and clear instructions) -- I think the routine is 45 minutes or so
Yoga for Athletes -- Warning: This has AWFUL production value and has no link between poses, but it's good for getting an in-depth look at each pose and what muscle it's good for.

More challenging, but not impossible
most of Rodney Yee's Power Yoga DVDs

And, as promised, here are links to some non-yoga stretching routines and tips that I've tried and liked:
Loosen Up from Runner's World
Stay Loose from Cool Running
#18 of Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsa View Post
Some yoga DVDs I'd suggest checking Netflix for...
Thanks for this Maya!! I want to get a good yoga video as well, the shows I have tivo'd are a full hour and Tough!
#19 of Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 46
The Yoga tape that I have and love is an hour I think, but I'll throw it out here anyway - it's Bryan Kest's Power Yoga, Volume 1 Energize. I guess at first it's kind of hard but you do what you can and work towards going deeper into the poses. I feel like melted buttah when I'm done.

I also downloaded a 15 minute Yoga for rRunners from iTunes onto my iPod. If you have an iPod, it includes video so you can see what she's talking about doing. So I have it at the end of every running playlist so at least when I run with music I remember to stretch out right afterward.

Kudos to you katholeenie. You are a strong woman.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page