Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Feb 6-7 Weekend Workouts!

798 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Swimmerbee 
#1 ·
Hi all!

LOVED THE SNOW DAY YESTERDAY!! Finally, FINALLY! :)

BUT...feel like cold number two is trying to take hold. Been feeling like this for the past few days...so while I *should* have gotten on the trainer (getting to the gym was a non-starter because of the snow)...I bailed. two days of nothingness...

Up early today to get DD to Mt Snow for work. I hit the slopes early and lasted a whopping 1.5 hours....so about 8 runs...just not with it. Snow not too bad, but they didn't get what we did and conditions are a bit lacking.

I am so ready for a nap.

Thor - double edged sword right? Glad you are feeling better - hope it doesn't delay the diagnosis!

#3 ·
zoj - sorry to hear another cold is hitting you. Rest well.

Sparty - reminds me of the days when my kiddos were at your kids' ages. Hard work will pay off!

What a weekend so far. Thursday night I drove to Cleveland to join other GIRLBIKERS at Great Lakes Brewery, as an opening gathering of girls weekend. Friday all day was at Ray's Indoor Mtb park for the women's day. Several pros gave us great instructions. About 30 of us joined almost 200 women enjoying the fun event. I really restrained myself from trying new and challenging stuff to avoid getting hurt. Hit the brewery next door to the park, afterwords, followed by a great burger dinner. After driving 2.5hrs home on Sat., I ran 10miles... Yikes that was hard. The pace was good, right at 9, but felt really heavy and depleted toward the end (I don't drink nor eat, so far up to 14miles)... I guess 3 drinks over 2 days and lot less snacking between meals might have contributed to the depletion.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just a quick catch up for me
-MQ sounds wonderful also wanted to know if you learned to bake gluten free goodies without xanthan gum. I am ok with lguten but not the folic acid in enriched flour but I'm allergic to xanthan gum so looking for gum-free fluten freeish recipes! Since several freinds are gf it could be an extra win

-Thor, good to see progress with running!
Me
-interesting appt wiht my neuro who suspects some gentically linked abnormal presnetaiton of dystonia after which I got some confessions from the family abotut he family tree whcih contains the backgorund the MD suspected. This is not the first time dystonia was sugested to me but the first time for the bakc issues and with the genetics piece and the first time a credible doctor suggested it. There are other possibilities and causes to explore so still on the slow track. Also a battle with the insurance co (obamacare strickes again) looms to get the blood tests needed.
-SO immediately after i hopped on a plane to SLC. Did some work then hit the slopes friday afternoon and today. Yesterday I was surprised at how strong I was feeling but today I am sore. It was corwded today but should be quieter tomorrow, so I did a lot fo hiking and traversing and am hoping it will be gentler tomorrow. Surprisingly my knees are not complaining (I'm a tele skier) so I must be doing something right!
keep on keeping on!

#5 ·
Yo - really?? no fueling AT ALL during long runs??? Why is that?

Cold killed me last night. slept like crap and woke up run down, stuffed up and generally blah. Figures...sun is out, temps are good, no wind and GREAT snow (per DH)...lodge rat I am

This marks four days of virtually nothing...blah

#6 ·
Week recap:
5 runs for a grand total of 13 miles. This is my highest mileage week for months and I feel pretty good! Did 60' and 4 miles today that included 5' run/1'walk at 13minute per mile pace. Still going slow and steady but feeling good.
2x swim this week for 4700 yds and 1 50' trainer ride that included 10x1' @z5.

No snow here. It looks and feels like late March.

We are besieged with campaign calls/visits/etc but are the final hours until Tuesday's primary extravaganza. I have a number of students who will be voting for the 1st time and they are very excited.

#7 ·
Zoj - re no fuel, for a few reasons. I'm always on the side of minimalist and a thinking that little refuel helps to teach body to use more fat. And I haven't felt for needs until yesterday's run. Plus I'm too lazy to prepare and carry stuff. But with 50 miles of running a week, my body might have started telling me I'm not replenishing enough after each run to get a longer run done well.

Ksurp - great to hear the highest miles of recent and you feeling good! Exciting time in the political processes, huh?

Another 10 miles. Slowest pace of this training cycle and legs had no energy. Not enough sleep due to early AM volunteering at the swim meet our Tri club put together and then, super stressful getting DD and DH ready for a trip to Chicago for 4 auditions. Watching her getting so stressed was painful...
It will get worse before getting better. Ugh.

#8 ·
azoj I hope you feel better. my bf has a cold but I dragged him out on the slopes and it was beautiful and so wuiet with the rowdy crowd gone inside to watch football. at lunch there was an international group of over 80's sharing the table. they are going around the world skiing all the place you can go for free at their age. so cool, I like to imagine a bunch of us at a table during some such event in 30+. years.

Yo, for what its worth in cycling i have gone the minimalist route but found adding electrolytes seemed to give me the umph on those depeleted days. I use saltstik caps and water. i get the food as soon as i am done. Actually did that skiing the last 2 days but today we skiied together and stopped for lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.