Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Thanksgiving weekend - workouts!

773 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  em73 
#1 ·
Hope everybody had a chance to give thanks to all that you are thankful for.

We had 10 people this year instead of typical 18, one turkey instead of two... Still had a great few days with extended family, doing games, puzzle, and our 4-yr tradition of "tempura night" on our driveway (using the oil from flying turkey). AWESOME.

With all the festivities, I still logged in 6 miles on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Another 6days running week (total 37.5miles) without any discomfort is done! Doing a barre class soon.

#2 ·
We had a quiet Thanksgiving with my parents on Thursday and 2 DS hockey games this weekend and he scored in both which was awesome.
Workout recap:
Friday: Did my outseason bike FTP test - yikes. I knew numbers would be low given my lack of riding this year but they are slightly below where I was at this time in 2012 when I did my first ever power test. Lots of work to do - the numbers can't get any lower at this point.
Saturday: 2950yds at masters swim, run = 5'wu, 10x2'/1'rest, 5'cd.
Today: 30 minutes on trainer, run = 5'wu, 3x3'/1'rest, 5'cd. I've graduated to 3' running intervals.
I feel like I am completely starting over at this tri training stuff.

#3 ·
Got in longish rides on Friday (41+) and Sunday (50+) - both solo and heading to the coast. Saturday's group ride rained out. Leaves me at 4709 for the year - so 291 in December to hit 5K. If serious snow holds off, should be doable. No other exercise Wed-Sun except dog-walking.

Had a pleasant weekend - just 8 at our place for Thanksgiving (BIL/SIL and family), but low-key was nice. Also, good to have DS back for the week (he left yesterday). Did catch Bond (slightly disappointing) - and spent a lot of time relaxing (though after last night's football game - still feel tired and dragging at work!).

Geo

#4 ·
Hey all, Catching up here. Yay to all who hosted! It is some work to do so kudos to you.

Turkey day: 5k but ran 3.3 or so with N1 and N2 prior to 5k start. Start of 1 mile a day minimum fat ass challenge.
Friday: trainer ride with H I think and 1 mile run.
Saturday: 1 mile run. 1 hour on bike trainer and 22 or so min on the elliptical.
Sunday: 1 mile run and combating darn woodpeckers pecking the poop out of the corners of our house. DARN BIRDS are killing the wood siding and leaving HUGE holes trying to find a nest. THERE ARE MORE THAN 50 TREES RIGHT THERE YOU DARN BIRDS. PECK THEM.

#5 ·
Sunday: 1 mile run and combating darn woodpeckers pecking the poop out of the corners of our house. DARN BIRDS are killing the wood siding and leaving HUGE holes trying to find a nest. THERE ARE MORE THAN 50 TREES RIGHT THERE YOU DARN BIRDS. PECK THEM.
Ooh. We have this problem as well (live in a log home - so extra scary, although they have only ever been at the wood trim board that covers the corner of the house, not the main logs themselves). Little flickers for sure!

We tried long ribbons of reflective/mirror tape from Walmart - and just thumbtacked it up. Not sure if it worked or not, but they haven't had a go for a number of years (lots of the tape has fallen off in high winds etc. though - so we have to replace it)

#7 ·
I recently read something about woodpeckers pecking buildings I have to find it later. My problem is this one demented wood pecker that will wake mu when he pecks the aluminum trim on the porch. I remember discovering this is more for the sound than to make a nest. The good news is he cant' get through the siding but its LOUD!

I left the wood pecker, I went to VA and MD for work, I did all that cold swimming in the Chesapeake bay. I drove (with constant stops to stretch ) to New Jersey. I discovered the sporti combo kick/pull board fits perfectly in the seat of the rental car to give a solid back and back massage!

Then I visited my sister which involved a bunch of dog walks. At some point I threw caution away and tried horse riding. After 4 months of not moving much my back has a new sort of constant gnawing ache to go along with the original sharp pains and lack of ability to function. So I've decided to get it moving again. This was extreme but I found that the movement made it much better for a while. I havne't been much of a rider for the last 25 years. I may have to figure out how to take it up again.

I then..drove back to maryland, swam in the pool, flew to San Diego, started dinner, went for an OW swim, finished cooking, hosted 10 people here! Thankful to have them and that they would wait until 6pm for dinner. Also thankful to see the east coast folks and also to be moving again.

On a personal and self-centered note I am very happy that I haven't made my condition worse and hopeful I'll find a solution set..

#8 ·
Sunday I broke my foot.

Monday and Tuesday I wallowed.

Today I'm going to see if I can get to mom's rowing machine and maybe try some upper body only rowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.