Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Snowshoe Running

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Thor 
#1 ·
Does anyone here do snowshoe running? I am intrigued and have been checking out the VT/NH snowshoe racing scene for this winter.
I am in need of new snowshoes and was considering getting a running model instead of just trail tromping model.

Thoughts? advice? I love snowshoeing and want to get outdoors more this winter.

Thanks!

#2 ·
YES!

The snowshoeing scene in New England is awesome. If you get on the race circuit, let me know and I'll have you say hello to a bunch of awesome folks for me.

I don't have time to go into crazy detail like I usually do on things, but I will say that snowshoeing is wildly fun, but it is also very difficult, especially when you venture onto trails with little pack. You can stomp along decently on ungroomed trails as long as there isn't too much snow. The more groomed the better, in my opinion. Otherwise it can be too much work, where a 45 minute romp is like a 2 hour hard run. But don't let that stop you. Snowshoeing is awesome. Last winter me and some guys ran through the frigid winter even when the pack wasn't good and the snow levels high. Just go in with an open mind and you'll have a blast! It's a lot like mountain running in that it is hard and will teach you how to be an athlete, because in order to keep moving you'll need to vary your effort.

Most folks in this area go with Dions. And I agree. Get yourself a set of Dions. Go for the 121's with standard cleats and bindings. It's a simple technology, but Dions allow you to run, especially on packed snow or light powder or even some fluff. Most others are more clumsy when running. I absolutely adore my 121's. I just hope I can get back to real running so that I can enjoy them this winter.

#3 ·
Since it can be confusing on exactly what to buy, should you go with Dion's, here's what I have -- and what just about everybody with experience who shows up to the weekend snowshoe races have. I say experience because this is one sport where many truly go through trial and error. So learn from those who've been there.

Frame: Dion 121
Cleats: Standard Cleats (I will sometimes slip but it's more an annoyance, plus I like the standard size for groomed trails)
Bindings: Don't remember which I have, but I think it is Quick-Fit.

http://www.dionsnowshoes.com/frames.html

#5 ·
Some of the local snowshoe races have Dions available to rent/demo if you want to try before you buy. There's a snowshoe series out here in Central MA - I can't link since FB is blocked at work, but look for a facebook page for Central Mass Snowshoe Series

Reactions: ksurp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.