Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Philadelphia Marathon Race Report

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BethR 
#1 ·
Hi all - been MIA from Kick for a few weeks. Somehow thought it would be a good idea to fill my time during taper with a freelance project. :confused:

Thought a lot about Barb and you guys during the race today. It was a beautiful day, chilly to start (low 30s; shivered in too little clothes for an hr before the start) but high 40s and sunny fairly early on.

(forgot to add my time: 3:38:14)
It's a beautiful course, well, I love Philly, so to me it's beautiful! Stuck with the Cliff pace group for 3:35:00, but he was really aggressive, making up time from the congestion at the start. Lots of my early miles (after the congestion) were 8:00, 8:05, even 7:55. Started to get a little worried. I've never raced a marathon before. But it's a pretty flat and fast course. 2 hills, at miles 7 and 9-10, but after that flat or small rollers. So I reasoned with that and the adrenaline, I would be faster than in training. And, the first 15 or so miles clicked off fairly easily.

I started to fall off the back of the pace group around mile 16. Brick legs, mentally nervous about the next 10 miles. Heard Barb cheering me on, and you guys of course! After mile 18, I decided I could do 8:30s and still reach the 3:35:00 goal (my math may have been a little fuzzy at that point). I could still see the pacer's balloons, so I was good with that. Then, at mile 20 I realized I wasn't probably going to make that goal, my pace was slowing to 8:35, 8:40s. So, I thought, just get to the finish with those times. The last 4 miles was brutal. Really mentally kicked. But, a few times, the crowd support (it's kind of hit or miss in Philly depending on where you are on the course) helped a ton. And, at the final .2, my friend and running partner (since stroller runs with our newborns) was waiting to cheer me on! (never saw Matt and Eli, but didn't expect to - glad they were having fun in the city).

My mantras were "proud and happy" and "work the tangents" and that got me through at the very end.

I've been thinking about Barb a lot lately, and I never even met her in person. We all lost a good friend and cheerleader, and being out on the course with all that love and support today made me so sad that things like that happen, that good people are taken away. Sorry to be sad, just wanted to dedicate this run to her.

Thanks again for all your support and advice. I couldn't have done it without that!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats, Beth! Fantastic race. I have heard/read the even 10sec faster at the earlier miles could lead you to a tougher late miles. Still solid time. Would you say the training went well per the plan? Did you like the plan?
Enjoy the recovery and off time. Well done! 2016 Boston?

#4 ·
Yoshiko - yes on all counts - followed Pfitz's plan and felt very strong and confident. I've never run so much in my life! Loved his plan, it just made sense, more so than others I've seen. Loved keeping up with the speedwork and not just slogging endless miles. Thank you, thank you for recommending it!

Yes, 2016 Boston (wanted a 20 min cushion to register two days in advance, but I got a 10 minute one, so hopefully I'll be able to get in). Maybe we will meet there??? I hope!

#5 ·
Beth: What a great race!!! Is this a PR for you? Your training went well and it sounds like the race was well done despite hitting the wall (is there such a thing that you can do a marathon and not hit the wall?). I got teared up reading that you dedicated this to Barb. I know what you mean, I've thought of her often and am sad that someone so good and young is taken away too soon. :(

#9 ·
Beth: Is this a PR for you?

I hope so, seeing as it's her first :)

And what a great first attempt! How nice to read a race report when everything comes together ... sounds like you had a great, injury-free training base, a solid plan to follow, no GI or other issues, terrific racing temps, a forgiving (and well-loved) course, the good race sense to follow what your body was telling you, and the right mental grounding (and run angel) to see you through and grit out the tough stuff .... ****! Wish my one and only had gone so smoothly :)

I've been very impressed by your occasional race/training reports on the shorter stuff (you're fast!) - so I'm so glad it all came together in the best way on the right day.

Cheers,
Geo.

#10 ·
Thanks gang! Julie, yes, a definite PR by almost an hour! 2nd stand alone marathon (ran Philly back in 2001; and then IMLP). I've never raced a marathon before, only shorter distances. Loved the training, pushing myself in the early dark mornings, still getting to do the speed workouts. I could see myself training for another, especially when Eli is in school. But, for now, I'll heal and run around with him. He and I both miss that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.