coconut water and cramping - KickRunners.com

#1 of Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 69
Likes Given: 1

So coconut water is the it drink of the local sports community but...when I drink it I tend to get leg cramps.  I htought maybe its jsut me but asking aroudn it appears others have had the same thing happen but hadn't pieced it together its nto right after but a few hours later.  So I wondered what experinces you all have had.  It appears to have a lot of potassium and not much else although the flavored ones add a good bit of sugar. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 127
Likes Given: 168

I never noticed effects (good or bad) with it, although I will say it is my electrolyte drink of choice during pregnancy since I have one almost every day now...the sugar and potassium are what I need at the moment, but during non-pregnant workouts I tend to need something with more sodium.

#3 of Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 4

I did a very quick google search.  check THIS out. now, it is from teh web, so... 

Just the Nutrition Facts

Coconut water is not to be confused with coconut milk which is squeezed from the inside pulp and used as a common ingredient in many Thai recipes. Coconut water is from young, green coconuts and is low in calories and a natural source of electrolytes including sodium and potassium. Eight ounces of coconut water has 46 calories, 9 grams of carbohydrates, 250 mg of sodium, 600 mg of potassium, 60 mg of magnesium, 45 mg of phosphorus, and 2 grams of protein.2 The electrolyte content is more than double that of traditional sports drinks with about half of the carbohydrates. So, if you wash that bagel down with fresh coconut water after your workout then, yes, it can contribute to optimal hydration and recovery. In addition to electrolytes and carbohydrates, coconut water contains other beneficial components including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids.

Not so Fast!

The commercial brands sold in the U.S. (I looked at the nutrient data for 5 brands) have a potassium content that is similar to the water fresh from the fruit; however, the sodium content is much lower with an average of 35–60 mg per eight ounces. Compare this to Gatorade which contains 70 calories, 19 grams carbs, 154 mg sodium, and 42 mg potassium per serving and as a sports drink the sodium level in consumer coconut water is far too low for adequate electrolyte replacement.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
#4 of Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

I use it a bit differently than most.  Gels make me sick, and I can never eat enough Clif bloks to really make a difference, so I use both on really hot days.  I fill my hand held with ice, then add the coconut water, so it gets somewhat diluted.  I use that as my fluid source, and take the bloks, with it along the way on my long runs.

I have always suffered from stomach problems on long runs, and this is the first combo I have found to work - maybe the coconut water settles my stomach?!  Probably just all in my head but as long as it keeps my head out of a trash can at the finish line, I'm going with it :)

#5 of Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Special Member

Adam - yep, I really miss Gatorade Endurance, the sodium content for that was AWESOME for me!

#6 of Old 06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117
Funny. My naturopath was just yesterday suggesting coconut water to help prevent cramps.

I don't like it much, though, and I have a lovely stars-induced eye twitch going, so, instead, we're magnesium more.
#7 of Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 96
Likes Given: 31

does it taste like coconut?

#8 of Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 53
Likes Given: 17

I have had good experiences with cocunut water.  It's the first thing I reach for after my hot yoga class. 

#9 of Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 69
Likes Given: 1

I use tonic water with quinine for eye twitches seems to work well with or without gin...

THe coconut water is the commericially avaialble prepackaged stuff, so the low soduim is no doubt the problem.  Many of them are flavored with sugar and a flaovor (fruit or chocolate) they don't taste much like coconut although a friend left some that has added coconut cream (and calories) that is chocolate flavored and reminds me of yahoo.  I'm afriad it might be like people eating powerbars and feeling "healthy" instead of candy bars (non-athletes)....or hte "smartfood" that was low in fat high in sugar. The idea of a natural or real food sports drink appeals ot us but... I just came back from a hot hard swim I guess it will be oj, salt and water for me.

#10 of Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Hmm I also get cramps some hours afterwards but Ive never thought there is a link between them and drinking coconut water. Muscle cramps are usually caused by mineral deficiency, and coconut water is very rich in minerals (they are all listed here) so its all quite strange. I guess I should give up drinking it for some time and see what changes.

#11 of Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 37
Likes Given: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyGirl View Post

Adam - yep, I really miss Gatorade Endurance, the sodium content for that was AWESOME for me!

FYI - You can still buy it online. Check Amazon. I'd be lost without that stuff.

- Le Bannon
#12 of Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 82
Likes Given: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyGirl View Post

Sparty...according to the notes in my Aug2009-Sept2010 training log, Gatorade 02 Pro has more sodium per serving than Gatorade Endurance.

Gatorade 02 Pro

50 cal, 200 mg sodium, 90 mg potassium, 14 g carbs

Gatorade Endurance

50 cal, 170 mg sodium, 80 mg potassium, 13 g carbs

(notes also indicate there was a not Pro version of the 02 that was lower in sodium, potassium, & carbs)

BUT I don't have serving sizes listed so, I just checked out Gatorade's website and they have both a Gatorade "G Series" Perform and a Gatorade Endurance with the following info:

Gatorade "G Series" Perform 02 (2 tsp)

60 cal, 60 mg sodium, 70 mg potassium, 14 g carbs

Gatorade Endurance (1.5T = 4.5 tsp)

80 cal, 290 mg sodium, 140 mg potassium, 20 g carbs

Cheryl (aka cake)
#13 of Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Special Member

Per Bannon's tip (why didn't I think of that) I ordered some...though I'm not sure why since I'm slightly injured and don't have any big endurance races on my schedule! Apparently my idea of retail therapy is a bit skewed...

Cak-thanks for the stats!
#14 of Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I think it leads to typos.
#15 of Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 AM

I also drink coconut water but I never noticed any effects with it. Are you sure that the reason of your leg cramps is coconut water? BTW it contains not only potasium but some other minerals (info on nutritional value of coconut water) but i'm no sure if too much minerals can cause leg cramps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page