Friday, Apr. 6 - WORKOUTS! - KickRunners.com

#1 of Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 36
Likes Given: 1

TEAM LIT: READ ON!

Do whatever you can to stay the **** out of PT!

Where one day I read the daily bread thread and come away totally inspired by all the kickass stuff going on, the next I read about PT and PT and more PT. Yuck. Let's get healthy!

You can stop reading :)

Speaking of getting healthy, my injury is more than likely turf toe. Turf toe is common among athletes who play turf sports, hence the name, where there is a lot of cutting back and forth and contact. Turf toe is when the big toe bends back (or upward) beyond which is healthy -- like over extending -- where the sac that sits at the base of the toe ruptures or gets damage, and where the ligaments on the bottom get stretched or torn. Pretty sure that is what I have, and I got it from doing those silly 45% grade hill repeats last Sunday. Silly me.

Yesterday was a funny day. I got so excited for Boston 2 Big Sur, and with the window closing on me entering, I signed up. So yup, I am registered for B2B -- a dream race (Big Sur) since the early days of my marathoning. Not even an hour after receiving confirmation, my toe got really bad -- not sure what happened -- where I was limping seriously and not at all feeling good about Big Sur or even Boston. And I'm still not. But a lot has happened since then.

Yesterday evening, having now limped around for many hours, I got out the ice bucket and popped a few Vitamin-I's, exactly the prescription for this type of thing. Ten minutes with my forefoot sitting in ice water and I was back to walking normal, so I know there is swelling there even though you cannot see it visibly. I did this a few more times, but the subsequent times weren't as successful. By bed time I was limping again.

Wake up this morning and things are better -- but still injured and sidelined, but definitely better. And so far today I can walk normal if not slow so that the big toe doesn't bend. The area is tender, but the good thing is that it is responding to healing. Which gives me hope for both Boston and Big Sur. So I have a weekend full of nothing. The only sucky part is that I won't be able to do yardwork and stuff like I normally do.

Me...

2 mile easy and very slow jog to keep the streak alive.

Great day, friends!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 13

Taking a DOR to do my part in staying off PT :)

Actually, had a total crap bout of insomnia last night, so I'm thinking a lunchtime snooze in the parking lot will do me some good. I'd planned on riding - but deliberately left bike at home this AM. If I perk up a bit, I may go for a walk ...

Thinking of doing first group ride of the year tomorrow... Guess it depends on whether I get a decent night's rest tonight (we start out at 7:00 AM, so I wouldn't be able to sleep in).

You seem to heal fast, Thor - so I'm sure the toe will straighten itself out in time.

Here's a Friday morning tune for ya!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fGNCvZL_w

Happy weekend all.

Geo.

#3 of Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 60
Likes Given: 102

Thor:  For me doing yardwork would be punishment of the first order.  A little like some you'd see in a movie about Geneva convention violations.  Ugh!

Geo: I hate insomnia.  Had my fair share over the years and you never get used to it.

Em:  Goodness I hope the wine was ok...           And your foot of course  smile.gif

Yoshi: Rest  sometimes there is no substitute  Sucks, but it is what it is.

Cak: Feel better

Hawk: Welcome back.  Love your healing attitude.  That injury stands no chance of being a continuing one.  You'll win for sure.

Me: Another friday with Gator Girl.  Woot!  I walked 40 mins on the treadmill then did some strength work. Planned for 10 mile run tomorrow with hubster by doing 7 before our 5k will run for beer race in Newmarket NH.  900 or 1000 swim on tap for lunch today since my meeting was moved to Monday.  Thank goodness.  That meeting is going to stink.

Keep healing peeps.  Happy Easter or Passover to those celebrating.  Happy long weekend to those who have one.

#4 of Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 72
Likes Given: 26

oh, the wine, thankfully, was fine.  my foot took all the force.

I plan on serving said wine to one of my legion of passover guests this weekend (9 of us tonight, 26 tomorrow)

#5 of Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Queen View Post

Planned for 10 mile run tomorrow with hubster by doing 7 before our 5k will run for beer race in Newmarket NH. 

Is this being run in conjunction with the great bay half? I thought that was tomorrow... Must be a big local weekend race, because there's a pretty popular one in Durham as well (Todd's Trot).

You'll be so close (4 miles) that a meet-up would be in order, except for the fact that I'll probably be on the bike totally avoiding the area...

If you want a serious case of bike lust, you should stop into Indy Fabrication, which now makes its home in beautiful downtown Newmarket...

Good luck and enjoy the beer!

Geo.

#6 of Old 04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 64
Likes Given: 0
Jeebus, peeps.... We are a bunch of hurting puppy. Let's put the same amount of love, dedication, commitment, enjoyment, whatever else to get better. And let's keep reminding ourselves that listening to your body is not easy but important and that we are no longer in '20s. I don't care what others say about 'age is just a number' - we got to be smart taking care of our body/mind.

Thor - I am with geo - you are quick to bounce back. Healing thoughts to your toe.
Em - I'm glad to hear the wine was ok smile.gif
MQ - sounds like a solid training run, good luck

2700m swim in the early morning. Boy, back was sore.
Then, when kids went to watch the hunger games, I went to hit the trail. 2 loops, I call it an endurance ride while focusing on the techniques. About 2 hrs including wu and cd from/to home. Solid negative split - getting less timid smile.gif

Enjoy your weekend!!
#7 of Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 60
Likes Given: 102

Yes it is run in conjuction with the Great Bay half and a meet up would be in order but I completely understand the desire to avoid the area.  If I weren't racing I would avoid it too.  The race director has sent out some warnings on traffic issues and parking issues due to all the activity in area tomorrow for the holiday weekend.

Have a great ride!  Thanks for the tips on the bike shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiolanthe View Post

Is this being run in conjunction with the great bay half? I thought that was tomorrow... Must be a big local weekend race, because there's a pretty popular one in Durham as well (Todd's Trot).

You'll be so close (4 miles) that a meet-up would be in order, except for the fact that I'll probably be on the bike totally avoiding the area...

If you want a serious case of bike lust, you should stop into Indy Fabrication, which now makes its home in beautiful downtown Newmarket...

Good luck and enjoy the beer!

Geo.

Em:  Also glad to hear the wine was ok.  Your foot took one for the team.  Good luck with all the Passover hosting too. This is my friend Becky's most disliked holiday.

#8 of Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Likes Earned: 0

Yikes, I feel like the disease vector for sore feet!  Healing vibes all around!

MQ - have a great race and long run tomorrow!

Yoshiko - I am jealous of the mountain biking.  I think I am going to sell my seldom used road bike and get a mountain bike.  It sounds like a blast and I do want to give cyclocross a try.  I will be in touch to get advice!

Happy Passover to all that are celebrating tonight.  We are a mixed bag of religions so our seder is a bit different - you get your choice of ceremonial wine, or a nice scotch (don't judge :) )! 

Alarm went off and I couldn't face the arc trainer or indoor workouts this morning so i went for a nice walk.  Run day tomorrow!

Happy weekend and holidays to all!

#9 of Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 75
Likes Given: 133

Wow! Healing vibes coming to everyone who needs it!

Me: 45 minute treadmill run. Now DS and I are baking for tomorrow's 8th grade bake sale/car wash fundraiser extravaganza.

Happy Passover to all celebrating.

#10 of Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 71
Likes Given: 216

Also sending out some healing vibes, while trying to absorb a few.

smile.gif

Saw my doc again today. Got 'scripts for Z-pak and some sort of cough relief pill as well as orders for chest and sinus X-rays. Hope the drugs help. Didn't sleep much at all last night due to coughing.

I ran my interval run today and hopefully didn't over do it.

Warm up and cool down with 6x 1/2 mile at 8:40/mi pace with 2min jogs between.
It's been weird for me to be "training through" this sort of icky-ness.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Really hoping the coughing subsides enough so that I get some sleep tonight.

Cheryl (aka cake)
#11 of Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 71
Likes Given: 103

Thor, take care of that toe! I hope you're healed up in time for Big Sur... but if not, I know you're smart enough to hold off until the time is right. Big Sur is unforgetable. No need to have those memories tinged with pain from injury. 

Geo. I had no idea there was a Big Sur song!

MQ - Way to keep it going with Gator Girl! 

Em - Wow, that's a big crowd!

Yoshi - Way to hit the cross-training!

CAK, Good luck with the Z-pak. I'm impressed at how you're able to train-through. I hope it doesn't hurt your recovery.

3k on the rower for me. I can manage the rower half-awake... I don't think I'd do as well at running with my eyes closed. ;-)

Great workouts & great weekend everyone!

#12 of Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 36
Likes Given: 2
ThOr keep being smart with that toe

Me 45 min run felt good then an hour MTB on green trails (easy) to remind myself of has been a couple weeks or more and I needed that

Tough on the quads but fun fun!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#13 of Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

Daily run

-----------------------------------------------

21m 21s - 2.28 miles - 09m 22s/Mi

5:00 PM

Equipment: Brooks PureFlow

Warm/upper 50s - Sunny and very windy. Crawford/Puckett/Security/Willis/Watson/path/Upton/home. Easy effort. Stretching afterward.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page