Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

May begins...... 05.01

623 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ripvanracer 
#1 ·
Rip, I've dusted off an old 50K plan and took out the last really long (marathon length) training run. Also started weekly "speed" workouts and am going to start some tempo runs. I've neglected speed for a long time.

After doing some garden chores, including dormant spraying my apple tree, I figured I'd go for a run while I was still stinky from the lime sulphur. 5.5 miles in my favourite mountain bike single track.

#2 ·
Hi Heme

Ran my first morning race in a few weeks. The plan was to get in a good effort but not push too hard. I got to the race about an hour before the 8 am start to register. I ran the 4 mile course as a warm up in 31 minutes. Based on driving the course the night before and running it, the first mile looked a few seconds short but evened out the 2nd mile. The race started and I was in 8th place. I caught up to the runner ahead of me and we ran most of the first mile together. I got ahead a little and passed the mile in 6:17. I was either running really well or I was right about it being short. The other runner caught back up and even passed me the second mile so I kept up with him while keeping my eye on another runner I thought I could catch. We passed mile 2 in 12:54 which was more in line with my effort. I tried to catch the next runner the third mile and dropped the guy I was running with. When we made a turn at 2.7 miles I was gaining some but he looked back and saw me and I couldn't catch him. I passed 3 miles in 19:26 for a 6:32 mile so my goal was to get under 26 minutes and possibly run even splits. I didn't quite make it but finished in 25:52 in 7th place and 1st in my age group. My splits were 12:54/12:58 so I was pretty close.
With a 2 mile cool down, I got 10 miles in earlier than I get up some day.

This evening I ran another 5 miles in a little under 40 minutes for a 15 mile day.

For a change of pace I signed up for a rolling 15k next weekend. I have a 10k two weeks from now so I wanted to get a longer effort in before that. I ran it 4 years ago so I'll try to get close to that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.