Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

30's Nov 30-Dec 6 A long December and there is reason to believe

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Auntie Moe 
#1 ·
Morning 30's I had a really nice few days off. Spent a lot of time with the kids and went shopping with the girls. I also got several workouts in. I ran over 6 for the first time in over a month. It was all good.

#2 ·
Hi Ron,

I made the executive decision to take an entire week off of running after the HM, so today will be my first week back on the horse.

We had a great weekend, too. No holiday shopping! We had family visiting from Florida, Ohio and Michigan, and I got extra tix for the football game on Friday for them all. We had turkey day on Thursday, then a nice salmon dinner on Friday.

Yesterday I was able to get some walls built for the tree house. Now I just have to get them lifted up into place and secured.

#3 ·
Hiya guys. Glad you guys enjoyed the long weekend. I hope everyone else did too.

Thanksgiving with the family was really nice here. Unfortunately, DW and I were under the weather for most of the rest of the weekend. We hardly left the house all weekend. Actually, DW didn't leave our property from the time she got home from work on Wednesday until she left for work this morning. I briefly left for a couple of errands, but that was it. Oh, and one 8 mile run on Thursday morning. I haven't run since then.

I'm feel a bit better today, albeit still a bit congested. Good enough to run a little, however. Less than 7 weeks until Houston, so I gotta get cracking...

On another note... Texas will be #33, so I'm on the lookout for #34. I'm looking for something in April in a state I haven't done yet. There are a couple on Apr 30 (Kentucky Derby Marathon and Nashville RNR), and I think I've decided that both of those are the ones I want to do in those states. But that's the day after my wedding anniversary, and DW might not appreciate me flying away solo on our anniversary. So if those marathons are always the last weekend in April, I might have to wait until my anniversary isn't on the weekend.

So I looked for something on a different April weekend. On Apr 23, there's the Runs With Scissors Marathon in Brighton, Colorado, just outside of Denver. (Still can't mange to insert links. Anyone else have this problem? See below for url). I haven't identified a preference for a Colorado race yet, but this one looks interesting. Aside from the catchy name, the marathon does 20 laps around a lake. A lot of people might hate that, but I run a lot of loops at the track or at some of the parks I run at, so I'm used to it. And it's got good reviews on MarathonGuide. Plus, even my all-time slowest marathon (Kalamazoo this past May) would have me 1st in my Age Group and 4th overall. Umm, that's out of the whopping 19 people who ran the Full Marathon in 2015. So far the smallest marathons I've participated in have been around 120 people (Green River WY and Lake Geneva WI).

Hmm. Right now, I'm seriously considering it. Before I do anything, I think I need to check the 50 State website to verify that a race this small would count...

Hope everybody survives going back to work after the long weekend...

http://runswithscissorsraces.weebly.com/

#4 ·
Hi hi hi!

I'm sitting on the couch with the little guy squished next to me and O is laying on my feet. :) We walked a few miles tonight, and everyone has full bellies, so we're sort of vegging. It's only almost 8pm, but I'd go to bed now if the dogs could hold it the rest of the night. The battle to stay up till 9 is on… Going to try to hit 530am yoga tomorrow, so actually, earlier than 9 still wouldn't be more than 8 hours sleep. Hmmm. (Getting enough sleep seems to be an issue lately.)

Except for ordering a new tv online, I didn't shop over the weekend.

That's all I've got at the moment. :)

#5 ·
Bob- I know zilch about the race but Denver is a cool place to visit, so why not? We visited in the spring, my brother lives out there. You can't swing a cat without hitting a brewery out there, so if you are into craft beer, your post-race plans are set. :D

We had a good weekend visiting with my family but were glad to get home yesterday early afternoon. Needed some peace and quiet to recharge before heading back to work today. No drama in my family, fortunately, but 3 days of constant togetherness is enough for the 2 of us who are used to quieter settings, LOL!

#6 ·
hi all,

i had a most lovely thanksgiving.. i hosted and had a lot of help which was great. i got in a few runs with my brother and sister, and even got to see maria!!

i'm reeling a bit, however.. a friend lost her 34 y.o. sister over the weekend. the sister was murdered by her boyfriend in a senseless, devastating act of domestic violence. we are all at a loss and its just so awful. if you could spare a few good thoughts and prayers for this poor family, please do so. thanks.

#7 ·
Morning 30's just a quiet night at home last night and my running streak came to an end at 5 days haha which isn't much. I shall start a new streak tonight and lift. The dark cooler temps makes it harder to leave the house once I am home.

Duck I love seeing updates on the treehouse. Is there a roof yet?

Bob I love Denver if I had to do it over I would move there. I think the altitude in Denver is offset but the lack of humidity.

kath I hope you had fun at Yoga.

bard I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.

missy that is terrible. Are you still running with the little one tucked in for Winter?

#8 ·
Oh Missy, that is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear this.

in other news, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm very happy for your family!

Hi all!

Let me start off with this: Festivus Virtual Race. Team SOFA KING. There will be Feats of Strength and Airing of Grievances! http://www.virtualraceseries.com/festivus-december/

Sounds like everyone had good holidays! We actually had a nice time at my aunt's, and an unexpected fun evening later with some friends who moved to our neighborhood. Where I'm quite certain I drank the better part of a bottle of something fizzy, but was remarkably fine on Fri. The short walk home likely helped.

The rest of the weekend we spent mostly at home. We did no shopping at all besides a few groceries (although I did buy a single gift card on Fri, mostly because I wanted to use Dunkin' Donuts' loo, and I needed to get the GC anyway.) We DID, however, do a TON of reorganizing in the house, including Adam's studio. OMG, it's so much better organized now. And we got rid of some stuff, which is good. I have been having some anxiety lately about a lot of changes, and this brought that out a bit too. I am a weirdo, no doubt.

#9 ·
Hi....what news did I miss from Missy? Missy/Maria- I'll be in your 'hood this weekend. I got a flu shot last week and have been feeling crappy ever since. Hope you and DW are feeling better Bob! Moe- did Adam move in? Clearly I am behind on all the big news...

#11 ·
Moe- did Adam move in? Clearly I am behind on all the big news...
Yep, he moved in last May! so it's been a while. :)

I RAN LAST NIGHT. I made a goal for myself, to get in 20 mins of any exercise every day this month. Even if it's just a walk at lunch. But I got home last night, and put on my running gear (including a new pair of UA running tights, that were big. Not because I've shrunk! they must have vanity sized their line. :mad: I was tugging on them the whole time I was out.) I set a 10 min timer, figuring I'd just turn around at that point, but evidently didn't actually turn it on, so I looked at my phone after a couple songs, realized what happened, turned it on, and ran for 13 mins more, figuring a couple of songs was at least 7 mins. So, maybe more than 20 mins, not far, very slow, but all slo-gging. ;) Right on. Remember when I couldn't get over myself overthinking brain, and couldn't run more than a min or two?

#10 ·
Morning 30's I got home late last night but I had to get a workout in. Sitting at my desk all day and then sitting on the train doesn't make my back feel any better. I got in a 3.05 mile run with 4 repeats. My legs were tight from all the sitting but it felt good and I also lifted.

Moe sounds like you are doing well. Boston must be fun this time of the year.

KJ you have missed out on a lot of news. How did you do on the fitness thing? I looked at it but I didn't know which one was you.

#13 ·
Missy, good thoughts sent for your friend's sister.

Nice work, Moe!

Bard, I do like craft beer, and I've heard that Colorado is THE place for that, so I am excited to experience that. I don't know if I'll be swinging any cats while I'm out there, but I'll try to find a brewery anyway...

I took yesterday off because I was too busy. I need a good long run tonight..

#17 ·
Morning 30's all these shootings need to stop now!!! What kind of world are my kids going to grow up in. It just makes me sad. I was able to get a 3 mile run in last night but my legs were really tight and I also lifted a little but not as much as I would have liked. Oh well there is always tonight.

KJ ok my vote is in. You look great!!!!

missy I hope you are doing well.

Duck it is just too often.

#19 ·
morning!

KJ ok my vote is in. You look great!!!!

missy I hope you are doing well.
1- mine is in for the day as well!! heres a link to make it SUPER DUPAH easy for everyone else: https://www.starknation.com/fitness/stark-naked/

oh! and is that your husband a couple pictures above you?!????

2- i'm feeling good today, thanks! yesterday was a bit of a doozy.. i didn't get much sleep the previous night and was dragging all day long. then i went out for a run but only managed 1.75 miles before i bagged it and headed home. well, actually i was running past my home and had planned on going further but just said, screw it :D

Unfortunately it's a daily headline at this point.
Morning 30's all these shootings need to stop now!!! What kind of world are my kids going to grow up in. It just makes me sad.
it makes me wonder do people even realize this is NOT how it is in other countries that aren't in the midst of a war?
i know we try to avoid politics on the board and there are a plethora of opinions re: the causation and what could be done to prevent and/or minimize these types of incidents but i firmly believe that we all agree that the atrociousness needs to stop. and that it is NOT OK for these shootings to continue on. sigh.

ice skating on tap for AK's girl scouts troop this afternoon. she was really upset to learn that i wouldn't be going out on the ice with her despite my being a half decent ice skater.. i think its a no brainer - too risky.

i'm still trying to get in touch with the contractor who is supposed to be ordering the parts for our dishwasher. its killing me. i swear i spend most of my day standing in front of the sink doing dishes!! :(

#18 ·
it makes me wonder do people even realize this is NOT how it is in other countries that aren't in the midst of a war?

#20 ·
Agreed Missy. And smart not to skate.

As I look at my sink that is full of dishes that i haven't done because I'm too tired and the dishwasher is clean but not emptied, I can't imagine having to wash them by hand every day. UG.

I'm wiped out. Didn't get home last night till a little after 10, and got up at 420 to go to yoga. Class was great, but that early wake up call is just brutal. Walked the boys a couple miles after work too. GOing to snuggle on the couch with the little guy in a few, probably with O on my feet. :D And I'll probably be in bed ridiculously early. HA.

#21 ·
Morning 30's TGIF. These 5 day work weeks seem long this time of the year. Nothing too exciting going on here. We will probably decorate more this weekend and get our tree.

Moe it is all just sad.

missy I would stay away from the ice too.

Way to go with your yoga!!

#22 ·
Finally got a good night sleep last night and woke up in a great mood, which was promptly interrupted with a 1-2 punch: 1) major fight with my darling daughter who was still in bed when the bus drove by and 2) a major mess at work that needed me to get to the office early. Luckily DH stepped in and took dd to school, I've finished fixing the mess, and Facebook memories reminded me of an adorable video of ds that recharged my mood. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post it here :)

Fitnessing - slacking on cardio, but seeing great progress in the weight training!

#24 ·
HA! Took me a minute to figure out what he was singing.

I'm beat. My people ran me ragged this week at work. Probably not going to walk the dogs tonight… need to clean up the kitchen a bit and I think I'm going to veg.

Oh, my new tv came today, but it's too big for me to heave around and setting up that sort of thing isn't my gig, so I'm hoping someone will come hook it up for me. ;)

#25 ·
Howdy folks!

Busy weekend for us. On Friday night, I produced and costumed a reading of A Christmas Carol at the historic home where I docent. It wasn't as well attended as I'd hoped but we only had room for 24 people or so, and we sold 16 tickets, so that was pretty good. Saturday we did even MORE organizing in the house, got our tree, and then ushered at the holiday fundraiser show at my theatre. (Side note for those who care, it's called A Carol Christmas, because it was started and stars Carol McIntyre Gallagher, Joey's sister. He's been a surprise guest in it a few years.) That was fun, and the theatre was absolutely gorgeously decorated. My friends and I all happened to wear our eShakti (an online company) dresses, which was pretty funny. Also, I look like them (they are sisters.)

Sunday we put up our outside decorations and our tree.

I have been good about getting in my 20+ mins so far. I even made Adam come with me on Sat evening before the show. Yesterday, I went to get a wreath, then walked up to the book/record shop to pay for a pre-order of a book (I'm trying to buy local for some stuff this year, since I'd bought of a lot of gifts early this year, months ago, online.) All good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.