Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Happy summer, 30s!

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  katholeenie 
#1 ·
Good morning. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was busy and wonderful. And HOT.

This is what 93% humidity looks like. And that's despite running only an hour (not more, as planned) in these heavily wooded, shaded, cool trails. Oof.

Morrissey was AWESOME! If you saw my FB post, you saw how close we were to the stage. I waited 30 years to see him. So happy!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Howdy, all!

Theia - /snort... should you decide to race in GA anytime during the summer, you will be well prepared for our heat/humidity. The level of sweatiness in your photos above is pretty much the norm here. :) (nasty, isn't it?)

Duckie - you guys always have some of the most excellent adventures!

I'm still plugging along with spinning and bodypump. I had a most excellent time on Saturday though. My friend Tom and his girlfriend asked me to join them again this year for the Biking Dead fundraising tour. It will be a long while before I can afford my own motorcycle, but they're cool with me being Tom's passenger until that time comes. Whee! That being said, dayum it was hot. I am hoping that next year, they'll have the event in May instead of June. :) Pics are on FB if anyone is interested.

Have a great week, everyone!

#4 ·
Jeez, that's alotta sweat.

I have 6 miles in both yesterday and today. Last week threw off my mileage goal for the month, so I'm playing a bit of catch up. Oskar is laying on my feet - I can't believe he is snuggling me as hot as it is - but I guess he needs to claim his favorite human.

American ninja warrior is on tonight. There is a girl on the course now kicking some @ss. Well, she was. She fell off on the double ladder thing. Oh well.

#6 ·
There is a girl on the course now kicking some @ss. Well, she was. She fell off on the double ladder thing. Oh well.
NO NO NO!!!!!! no spoilers!!!!!!! :) hahaha. i read this last night before i watched. pfffft. thank you very much :rolleyes: i'm kiddin'.

hi guys. we had a great weekend - AK started soccer and she scored two goals in their scrimmage! she was ecstatic and i couldn't be more proud. then we spent father's day with friends and went out for shabu shabu - we did all you can eat and oh, did we eat it all ;) ha.

yesterday DH had the day off so we went to the santa cruz beach and boardwalk for the day. it was a gorgeous day to be out on the beach!

i went to lagree pilates this morning and i'm meeting some contractors at the house later today to get some estimates. we also get to buy a new fridge and washer/dryer so i'm looking into that. any recs for these apppliances? ones that you love and/or hate?

my trail half is this saturday so the tapering has started. i'm relieved because i think i was starting to get stressed out with scheduling all those long runs in between everything else that is going on...

did boB ever say where he is going on vacation??? curious minds want to know :cool:

#5 ·
Morning 30's I had a great weekend and I even extended it a bit to go to my son'd 6th grade promotion. I had some good workouts but I still need to run longer. OH well someday.

Theia that is a lot of sweat.

Duck a river trip sounds great!

Ailarie glad you are doing well.

Kath ANW if fun to watch.

#10 ·
Morning 30's I got in a short run with 5 repeats. I am trying to work on getting a little faster. Tonight I should be able to run and lift so all is good. It is really getting warmer so I will sweat like Theia.

missy a trail half sounds like fun although I have never run one.

bard now I need a ice cream maker.

Kath how is the new job.

#11 ·
i want an ice cream maker!!!

so far we've been pureeing fruit like cantaloupe and sicking it in ice pop molds with slices of strawberries.. but apple jack ice cream and the sorbet recipes bard posted sound DELICIOUS :) i might have to get an ice cream maker...

ron, sweating is good. it clears out the pores.

thanks for all the appliance recs. katho, they just don't make appliances the way they used to. my inlaws have a washer/dryer set that is close to 20 years that they've never had problems with. what the heck. i want that set. heh.

kid swap this morning - i have the kids for the morning and they will go over to another house this afternoon. PERFECT. i'll get in a run then with bella.

#12 ·
I ran so early this morning, it felt like it was the middle of the night! I'm hoping to make yoga tonight. I'm home alone until Sunday, because the kids and DH are going fishing in northern Michigan. Should be interesting to hear the trip reports!

#13 ·
Hopefully they saw the Northern Lights in Michigan. My buddy has been posting remarkable pics from Traverse City on facebook.

Appliances: We had a water conserving Maytag W/D set, but the washer kept breaking due to crappy electronics. We ditched it for a non-electronic Speed Queen and are SUPER happy with the results.

I ran up the butte yesterday after work and found a trail around the back that was shaded and lightly used. It was heaven. Going up was really hard and lots of walking breaks. Coming down was a blast. Cooled off my legs in the river before heading home.

Heading out now for a lunch run. We host USATF champs this weekend, so lots of elites out there today on my walk to campus and back. Colleen Quigley (FSU steepler) ran by me on the bridge, and she's kinda good lookin'.

#14 ·
I just called DH about the northern lights. They are still en route, but hopefully they will get to see something, and send pictures to me'

#16 ·
The ice cream maker is one of my favorite small kitchen appliances, although I only use it a few times a year. We actually don't eat our ice cream that quickly (surprising to me considering I used to eat a pint at a time). I have a basic Cuisinart model where you keep the container in the freezer until you need it, so no ice and rock salt needed. It makes about a quart at a time and most recipes these days are scaled to that amount, rather than the gallon size we used to make with my dad's old ice cream maker.

Bob- we love going to the National Parks too. When we drove cross-country to move Moonie to Ohio, we couldn't detour up to the Grand Canyon but we did stop for a few hours in the Petrified Forest. It was a few days after Christmas and chilly (some snow in spots), with gorgeous blue skies and sunshine that really made the colors in the petrified wood just pop.

#17 ·
holy crap that's a big photo! LOL! Sorry, can't figure out how to size it better since I'm linking it rather than uploading directly.

#18 ·
Morning 30's this week is turning out to be a good workout week so that makes me happy. The kids are out for Summer and having fun. Last night they were making too much noise while I was trying to sleep so I told them to keep it down and they said they forgot I had to work.

missy I hope you had a great afternoon to yourself

amichel it is relaxing when the only noise you can hear are your feet hitting the ground.

Duck I read an article that said she gave up modeling for running.

Bob sounds like a great vacation.

Bard great pic!

#19 ·
i would love to see the northern lights one day.

ah. a house to myself sounds absolutely blissful - enjoy, amichel!

re: national parks, when we drove across the U.S., we bypassed SO many parks that i almost cried. i really, really wanted to stop by at least one but we simply didn't have enough time as we spent it all in australia. it was a great reminder that we have so many beautiful parks stateside as well and that its not necessary to travel across the world to enjoy marvelous scenery!

duck, will you be spectating? so exciting!!!

ron, glad you're having a good work out week. that always makes me happy, too!

enjoy the rest of your vacay, boB!

#21 ·
It's not quite as relaxing as it should be, because the dog is flipping out and chewing everything! Grrrr

Workouts: 2 mile walk and strength last night, sunrise yoga this morning

#23 ·
Aaaaand it's raining again. Surprise.

This is a good mileage week for me. Probably the highest week I've had in months.

SO looking forward to the weekend. Not because of anything specific going on (although I do have fun plans), but it's been a heck of a week and I need a break.

Looks like I might be in bed by 930 2 nights in a row. WOOHOO!!!! (and how old do I sound?)

#24 ·
race day!!!

i ran my first trail half today in 2:13! it was a lot of fun, albeit pretty hot. the course was shaded about 15-20% of the way so it was quite uncomfortable near the end and 84F when we finished. yeesh. but i'm pleased with how it went and even managed to snag 1st in my AG. i guess all the old foagies stayed home today - HAHAHAHA.

ok. time for a nap followed by ice cream. woooooooot!

#25 ·
Nice work Missy!!!

We're having a monsoon AGAIN. :roll eyes: Which means my basement is flooding. I shop vac'd first thing this morning, and then this afternoon when I got home from getting fixed. But then the next time my aunt called and came over and did it for me. :! And she and my uncle are trying to rig a hose to the shop vac drain, so it will drain right into the floor drain as I shop vac, instead of me filling the shop vac and then having to shove it over to the floor drain. Because that last bit is what is so hard on my back.

I got a new slow cooker and have a pot roast in it (hey, it's only like 55 here and has been POURING all freaking day), but I don't think the pot roast is going to be done for a couple hours, so I'm having left over fajitas for dinner. Yummy.

What else is going on people?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.