skating vs running vs cycling - KickRunners.com
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
so Budd asked for a seperate thread for this topic. so here it is.

Back in the mid 90's when the internet was full of truth i researched this topic.

by using running as a benchmark we'll give it a score of 100
there was an article that took several healthy people, not athletes though. they had them do thier assigned sport (listed in the title) for two weeks after the two weks they checked the improvement of the participant's VO2 MAX, calorie burns and Max HR

runing scored the highest, but there were issues regarding knee joint pain that didn;t allow everyone to run as often. the runners had the highest calorie count and the highest VO2MAX improvements

Skating scored second scoring about 65-75% in all categories compared to running. I wish i could remember the exact numbers but the article was a long time ago.

the cyclist had the least improvment. they scored well on the heart rate but far less in the calorie counts. also they determined that cycling would not help with osteoporosis.

they did find that cycling and skating allowed the paticipants to exercise longer than running allowing for a greater calorie burn overall though to running.

while runers had more injuries, skaters and cyclist had more traumatic injuries.

so discuss or question away
#2 of Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

I dont find inline skating that great for cross training.
I believe this because for skating you push to the side so you are using your outer quad more and for running you are pushing forward and back which is more the top of your quad and your hamstrings.
A few things that do help running though is the cardo part of skating, and the work on your calfs.
Maybe its just me though, others might expand on it.
Now biking and running i think help eachother a lot.
#3 of Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Addicted Member

Location: Firmly Atop The Upper Echelon of Mediocrity [South Jersey]
Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 22
Oh, that kind of skating ... I was thinking of something else

#4 of Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM

I assume you're making a joke, though I can't tell as I only get a little red x in a box.
APRR Chuck, how do you combine the two in a training week?
#5 of Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM

we dont do the tricks and things we just skate fast and in a pace line like ice speed skating that you see in the olympics
#6 of Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM

sorry my picture didnt post here is the link

http://www.synergyinline.com/photoga...e=DSCN0113.JPG
#7 of Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

For me i skate Wednesdays for about 3 hours with my team.
Saturdays i skate for two hours and then a run.
Sunday sometimes i skate and then long run or usually just run.
The rest of the days of the week usually just run with Friday completely off.
#8 of Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

i'm more like tour de france style bicycle racing than the olympic style. i never really liked the indoor style of laps. my favorite race is an 87 mile race.

when in training i throw one or two runs in during the week.

my cardio would look like this

Monday, Wednesday Thursday Friday bike commute 1 hour daily
Tuesday skate, 5 mile am, 15 mile pm
Saturday...25-40 miles on skates OR a 3-4 mile run/walk it all depends on the weather.

Sunday is a recovery skate....8-22 miles

i also a Skate, Bike, Run race with my skate club the biggest lactic acid burn i can think of
#9 of Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

#10 of Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM

is that skate bike run a real race if so can you post the details i know a lot of people up here in virginia that would love to come down for that
#11 of Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

no nothing sanctioned. it's an intramural thing i got the idea from the old CAM series. i used to do the run section of the skate,run,bike tri's they had there. a married couple and i would go in as a team. she cycled, he was a better skater and i was the better runner.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/map...p-of-park.aspx

we skate the inner loop
bike the outer loop and run to the top of Stone Mtn. it takes the winner typically 1:10: xx our record is 59: xx
#12 of Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35

blading at the bikepath was my chosen exercise for about 4 years ... I went fast enough I passed most people on bikes and worried some older folks (bless their hearts) because I was working so hard ...

Anywho ... I know I can and did work hard enough blading that it would easily match or surpass the calories and heartrate I have on an average day running at the path ... my track intervals or races under 1/2 thon would probably beat blading ... and the wonders it did for the adductors and abductors were unmatched by a long shot compared to running ... and I'd even intentionally do partial squat type blading to engage my glutes a few miles every workout ...

blading rocks ... but when I started running and racing again I stopped blading ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#13 of Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

I used to do inline skating as my main sport, and completed the 87-mile Athens-to-Atlanta race 4 times. DNF'ed once due to a blister. (APRR Chuck, I assume this is the 87-mile race of which you speak?)

Anyway, after I had my son, I just couldn't get out on skates any more. The logistics of driving out of the city to train and then driving back just didn't fit with an infant at home. So, I thought I'd try something new and take up running. I figured that the discipline of training for an endurance event would be similar no matter what the sport.

It turns out that I am a FAR better runner than I was ever a skater. I was always a back-of-the-packer on skates, but in my first running race (6 weeks after starting to run), I was smack-dab in the middle of the pack. And 6 months later, I ran my first marathon and BQ'ed.

I loved skating. I adored my teammates and the camaraderie. I did the Eddy Matzger workshop every single year and practiced the drills in between. But I still sucked at it! My transition to running really made me realize that some people are simply built to for certain sports, and that no matter how hard you train, it may be impossible to excel in some others.

So, I have a hard time comparing these sports personally, because I just find them so different with respect to the degree of exertion. I worked hard at inline skating, but with far less gain. As for injuries, though, I can say with certainty that I suffered through far more traumatic injuries on skates, but I've struggled more with soft tissue injuries from running. I don't know if that's just because I'm getting older, though (45 years old). I've never cycled competitively, but I did complete a century ride once with my DH and loved it.

--Robin
#14 of Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

funny Robin, i recognized your name immediately and thought it was A2A. welcome to my other world.

yeay skaters rockbanana.gif
#15 of Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure you recognized my name because I always skated A2A with my twin sister, Karin. There was always that freaky "twin factor" that draws attention! I was otherwise a mediocre skater!

--Robin
#16 of Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Boston and Team in Training, right?
you skated with Thom Keane?
#17 of Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Dayum! You are GOOD! Yes, yes, and yes! I skated 2 A2A's with Team in Training, and the rest on my own. I haven't seen Tom in quite some time, although I see his wife on occasion. My sister is married to Vladimir Sejnoha, who still races with ICB (although he didn't do A2A this year).

--Robin
#18 of Old 03-01-2009, 11:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

i love it when a woman says that to me. smile.gif i di TnT with DC a couple of times as well. i think i'm up to 8 a2a's done now. not all 87, i just did the new 52 mile this year. i think i found my distance.

as you can see i moved down to atlanta and am in the club here. i'm also very in the middle of the action here club and a2a so i hear the stories all the time. nice to run into you

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page