shin tightness-not shin splints - KickRunners.com
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Hey guys and gals,

Ive been running for quite a while and have normally just ran through the tightness and pain, but since i joined i wanted to get some feedback on whats going on with my shins.

Not everytime, but a majority of the time when i go running, the front/outside of my shins feel like they get extremely tight and make it difficult to even run properly.

I know its not shin splints, just feels like that tendon is getting tight.
Is there anything i can do to prevent this?
#2 of Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM - Thead Starter

nothing?? just a bunch of views..
#3 of Old 06-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 3
Massage it! I sometimes use "the stick". Stretch before and after your run will help prevent some of it.

You can see the details of all my workouts on my Blog.  Happy Training Everyone!  Stay safe out there!

David

#4 of Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM - Thead Starter

mmm thank you for the reply.
I make sure i strech it out pretty good everytime before i run, but ill try rolling it.
#5 of Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Likes Earned: 11
The pain you describe sounds like it is shin splints, but I'm no doctor. Some things I'd do (having experienced shin splints in the past):

- make sure you are wearing the right type of running shoe (wearing motion control instead of stability instantly gave me shin splints). If you haven't had your gate analyzed at a running store, do so
- stretch your calves ... if they're tight it can cause shin pain
- ice your shins after every run
- while seated, lift foot and draw the alphabet in the air with your big toe (do this on both sides)
- furniture lift: easiest with an ottoman, put your feet under it and lift up & down
- toe raises: stand @1 foot away from a wall, lean back so your upper back touches the wall as you pivot up onto your heels. Leaning against the wall, lower and raise your toes (you'll start to feel it in your shins)
#6 of Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM

I have had a similar problem in my left leg. My shin would get so tight after about 8 minutes of running that I would need to stop. I would limp from the tightness for a minute or two after running, but the feeling went away rather quickly. It took almost a year to diagnose, but turns out that I had compartment syndrome. I had a surgery and have not had the same problem since.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page