Weird pain in the ball of my foot - KickRunners.com

#1 of Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I've started to have intense, exercise related, pain in the ball of my left foot. It is very pronounced after I've been riding the exercise bike for a while. It bothers me some when walking or running, but nothing like on the bike.

I found I've developed a callus there on the sole of my foot, right where my foot hits the clutch in my car. (Driving in L.A. has become quite painful -- in a whole other way from the usual pain of driving in L.A. )

I've had to cut way back on my training, (right in the middle of VRAA!), and I don't have the faintest idea what's going on. Is the callus the problem?

If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing, I'd be grateful to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 1
Wear different shoes on the bike.

I often get hot spots on the ball of my foot from long runs and long bike rides (I dont have clipless pedals).
#3 of Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks, muzicgrl, I tried that earlier in the week, but the shoes didn't seem to make any difference. I'm taking a break from the bike for a while, and I'm in a lot of pain today, so I'm taking a complete rest day.
#4 of Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Do you ever wear heels? Does it feel like that kind of pain in the ball?

I think it is possible plantar fasciatis could show up like this also.
#5 of Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM

I've had pain similar to that when running--not recently, though. The podiatrist first said it was metatarsalgia and suggested some kind of cushioning pads for the balls of my feet. They have them in drug stores--something like gel pads.

That didn't seem to help, so he looked into the possibility of Morton's Neuroma. The symptoms are often similar, although the cause might be different. I can't remember how he made the diagnosis since it was several years ago, but he injected cortisone and I haven't had a problem with it since.

Might be worth checking w/ your podiatrist if the pain doesn't go away. This is the ONLY foot condition I've ever had that was completely resolved by a cortisone shot.
#6 of Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Special Member

Sounds like it may be Morton's Neuroma. I have it, and I have similar symptoms. Had a cort shot a year ago that helped a lot.
#7 of Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
I'm going to second Morton's toe. I had it 15? years ago and my doctor said when the patient mentions "driving" as painful. Then he said short women is a big factor. ????

I stopped wearing heels and I moved up 1/2 size in all shoes and eventually it went away.
#8 of Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM

I have this problem in both feet after about 20km, I have metatarsal pads on my orthotics, and it's not really helping. I had a morton's neuroma removed about 10 years ago. I think I've just got bad conformation in my feet. Don't know whether to try a cortisone shot but since it's the whole ball of my feet, where would it go, I wonder.

I'm so over it.

Audrey
#9 of Old 09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Special Member

place the pads under the big toe joint and remove the pads from under the other toes....trust me. just try it!
#10 of Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Toe Jam, just getting back into running after 6 months off. I had just recovered from bursitis in my knee, and I fell in a hole the dog had dug in the backyard. Tore my plantar fascia.

Just wanted to let you know that I tried your suggestion above, and on Sunday night I ran 22km with absolutely no foot pain. No burning in the ball of the foot, no hobbling the last third of the run.

I guess it's only a sample size of one, and I'll be heading out for more long runs in the next month or so, but the difference was amazing.

Thank you!!
#11 of Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 52
Oh, glad you're on the road to recovery!

This post is not meant to offend, demean or alienate anyone in any way, and if it did so please contact me by PM so I can rectify any offense as may be fitting. The opinions stated above are the sole property of the poster and in no way represent the opinion of this website or its members.

Run,...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page