Sudden aversion to Red Meat - KickRunners.com

#1 of Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Weird.

For the past couple of weeks I've developed this aversion to red meat.

Particularly steak. Fajitas, which made my mouth water are now making my stomach turn.

I was able to eat a burger yesterday, but I was extremely tempted to order the veggie burger. I don't know why I didn't.

What's going on!!??

Am I slowly turning veggie??

I am not preggers. Not even a little bit. So don't even go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Just go with the flow. The opposite happens to me once in a while. I crave a juicy red steak so rare it still twitches on the plate. Probably just an iron deficiency. The body is pretty smart that way.
#3 of Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM

aha! my nightly subliminal messages on this board are finally working! icon_albino.gif

*save an animal; eat a vegetable*
#4 of Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Right now the animals du jour are chicken and fish. I've had shrimp three nights in a row. Chicken was part of my lunch 3 days out of the past 4.
#5 of Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

LOL. . .I had a similar incident before I became a vegetarian. But the aversion really began when some "friends" had us over for dinner one night and served us up some black bear meat (they didn't tell us it was bear till afterwards). It was the greasiest, nastiest. . .uggh. Spent the next day hurling it all back up.
#6 of Old 03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
are you preggers????!!
#7 of Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Special Member

I can't say I've developed an "aversion" to red meat, but lately it doesn't do anything for me. I've really tried to cut down, actually, and I have been experimenting with different fish preparations, and chicken, of course. You can't go wrong with chicken. You can broul it, grills it, roast is, stir-fry it, poach it...you can do just about anything. There'e coq au vin, cacciatore, scallopped, stuffed...

wink.gif
#8 of Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

fox runr!!! I am NOT pregnant! icon_compress.gif I love your bouncy cow avatar, btw!

hmm.. two weeks and still no red meat.

chicken and fish. Chicken and fish. Oh, and veggies. Lots of them.

There was sausage on my pizza yesterday and I picked it off. Although I DID have a chorizo and egg taco this morning!! But that's pork.
#9 of Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
I've had black bear before and it was lean and definitely not nasty. At least 50% of my red meat intake is venison - very lean tastes just as good as or better than most beef IMO.
#10 of Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Addicted Member

Dia, haven't you ever heard a tomato scream when it's picked?? Plants have feelings too!!!!! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I don't eat much red meat anymore, I'm more like radial (hey old buddy!!!) with an occasional craving. Chicken bores me, I go in stages with that, so I stick mostly to fish and occasionally pork. If I had an endless supply of all things seafood I'd likely never look at a cow again!

Thanks to our veggie friends here, though, I am branching out an trying some new stuff just for the variety and health benefits.
#11 of Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Special Member

I was a big beef eater at one time. I'd put my over consumption of beef in the top three reasons I had a heart attack. Now, the smell of it cooking can truly gag me.

I don't miss it at all. I still eat some red meat... a little pork and lamb... and I eat bison a couple of times a month. It's mostly fish now and chicken mostly as a part of something... a soup or stew.
#12 of Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Special Member

One of my grand nieces is 16 and does not eat red meat. When she wanted to give blood, she was told her iron is too low and therefore she could not give blood. I know she hasn't eaten red meat for at least a couple of years if not longer. What do vegetarians do for iron deficiency and other problems that meat eaters tend to not suffer from?
#13 of Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
lots of foods that vegetarians eat have iron in them. She probably has a poor diet or some underlying condition that is causing the iron deficiency.

Dried beans and dark green leafy vegetables are especially good sources of iron, even better on a per calorie basis than meat. Iron absorption is increased markedly by eating foods containing vitamin C along with foods containing iron. Vegetarians do not have a higher incidence of iron deficiency than do meat eaters.
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

My Blog

"100 milers are all gallowalking festivals."
-Tim
#14 of Old 03-21-2007, 11:28 AM

GaRebelRunner, there are lots of good multi-vitamins on the market, and these should boost her iron a little. She can also talk to her doctor.

As meri said, we don't really have more incidence of low iron than omnivores. As a female, things like the time of the month she tried to donate can play in. Also, she can add more iron-rich foods into her diet, and avoid things like caffeine that inhibit iron absorption.
#15 of Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

oh no. I'm in trouble.

I had borderline Iron levels during my last bloodwork. But the doc said not to worry yet.

But that was before my red meat aversion. I'm still not wanting it.

But I'm craving Spinach. I can't get enough of it. Perhaps it's my body's way of compensating? Doesn't spinach have a lot of iron?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page